Thursday 4 February 2010

Sorcerer of Chaos - WIP3

I'm kind of at a stand-still here, and a bit at a loss as to what I'm to do next. I have finished sculpting my first head (milestone!) and also given him a left hand.
Now, it's not very hard to spot that his hand is way out of proportions, and his head is also slightly too large. On top of that I think the face is expressionless and boring, the cheekbones are too prominent, his nose is too beaky and he's even looking in the wrong direction - at least I think he'd look much better if his head had followed his arm. That was after all the plan when I started sculpting the head, but as I was trying to figure out how to make ears and shape the face, I sort of lost sight of the bigger picture, and I was unable to spot my mistake, until too late.

So, uhm, what now?
In a way, I have done what I set out to do, namely sculpt a head and a whole arm for the first time. And I have learned a lot, no doubt about that, and that's always nice.
I am however not happy with the result, so my Sorcerer won't see any paint in the near future, that's for sure. In fact, I'm quite tempted to scrap both head and arm, and redo them from scratch.
Right now I think I'll take a short break from him, however - I seldom get anything constructive done, if I'm frustrated over my own mistakes. It's the wrong kind of motivation for me, but that being said, I won't abandon my Sorcerer either, his time will come!

I have recieved a request for some hints and tips regarding how to sculpt, and although I'm far from an expert, I promise I'll start working on a list of tools, including a short description of how I use each, and if I've started redoing the face and arm, I'll try to include some step-by-step pictures as well. Hopefully something to look forward to!

5 comments:

  1. While the hand does look at little big, I woulnd't say that the head is bad. I like accentuated features, so the cheek bones are not a problem with me. In terms of the direction of his eyes, you could simply paint his eyes rolling back into his head. Sight through the warp needn't be directional.

    That said, I wouldn't scrap him. For posterity, you should keep him around. If this is your first attempt at sculpting, you did a great job, and you may want to keep it around. Heck, do up 8 others and you'll not only get increasingly better at it, you'll have a pyker battle squad for Guard in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't scrap it!

    The hand looks a little big but I like it. You could add some "magic" to it in the form of flames or ... something.

    The face actually looks quite Slaanesh to me. It doesn't look bad.

    Before you write this one off perhaps you can carefully cut off the head and try to reattach it at the angle you were envisioning? With a little care and a little more sculpting to blend the two I think it would look good. You could always add a little hair to cover up anything that looks really out of place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could Sculpt, I think it looks spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you kidding me?

    If your done with it?
    Paint the bugger and be proud.
    Heck of a effort!

    If not, a little realignment as suggested, would strengthen the action of the model. A cowl/hood over half the face will hide the flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a chaos sorcerer I think he's superb. The large hand size and slightly over-sized head add to it's character.

    I think you've done an excellent job

    Sigmar

    PS. I don't suppose you're be interested in sculpting some Nautican "greens" for me would you ? (see the Nautican miniatures here)

    I particularly need Coral Hunters (skink sized minis with fins) holding spearguns.

    ReplyDelete