Thursday 20 August 2009

ToFP - Painting shedule

Judging by my assembling-, converting- and painting speed, I've come up with a plan for the Tale of Fantasy Painters, and thought I'd share it here:

August: 10 Marauders of Slaanesh & 5 Warhounds
September: 5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh
October: 3 Dragon Ogres
November: 10 Warriors of Slaanesh (w/ Halberds and Shields)
December: will be my first joker (a.k.a. a free month of painting, as I'm headed for Norway for the Christmas holidays, and I also got my exams come January, so will be busy enough)
January: 5 Knights of Slaanesh
February: Hellcannon
March: 5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh & 5 Warhounds
...

And, frankly, that's all the models I got at the moment, so I really don't know what the next couple of months shall be used to. Maybe a character or two? I think my regiment of Marauders could use a few more ranks, if they're to be of any use at all... Also, I think I might fancy a Giant for my army at some point, to fill in the last Rare slot. Or maybe a couple of Chaos Spawns?
Truth to be told, I really don't know what more I want for my warband. I guess I like the concept of both the Warshrine and the various beasts beside the Dragon Ogres, and Chaos Dragons are simply raw awesomeness. But mnyeh, can't seem to make up my mind as to what comes next, apart from more Marauders.

Any suggestions are very much welcome! Seen from a tactical view, but also if there are any wishes as to what I should make and paint next, please feel free to speak your minds!


As to my progress, I've near to completed my Warhounds, but sculpting tails for them is more time consuming and difficult than I had initially thought. Anyways, I hope to have them done by the weekend, monday at the latest. After that I'll break into my first box of Marauder Horsemen, and assemble them, so they're ready for painting come September. I have to admit I'm looking forward to that, as I find the new Horsemen wonderfully sculpted, full of nice little details, and they got such an amount of character! If only GW had let the same person sculpt the Warhounds...

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a sound enough plan. You're right in that you'll definitely need some more marauders as you'll need the static combat res from them to do much. I have a unit of 15 and that's not enough.
    Also when you get a chance you should make it 12 warriors and 6 Knights :) The extra 1 to the frontage is really useful and most importantly multiples of 6 are so very fluffy! :D I wouldn't worry to much about that on Marauders and Horsemen though hehe.
    You need to add some characters in there. I want to see some Noeste's own characters. Maybe a female chieftain style character to go with those lovely marauders of yours.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Elazar.

    I'll go for 20 Marauders, 12 Warriors and sometime later I'll make me a Knight or two more (some at the local GW store always prefer 7 models for cavalery.. but they don't have as expensive Knights as we do, being Elves and Orcs.)

    And heh, you've caught me there with the female character - that's been my plan for a long time, but I don't know wether I shall go for High Sorceress or a fearsome Lady of Slaanesh.

    Have you by any chance had any experience with Giants?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I have a chaos giant who I've been meaning paint for over a year now. They're ok (best mark is Slaanesh for them by a mile so that's helpful) but they die far too easily outside of combat. With no armour and being a large target he becomes a pincushion and two rounds of shooting can easily take him down. However, in some respects that can be a good thing. He can draw fire away from more important and more reliable troops. Against armies with little or no firepower they can be devastating. They're stubborn allows them to take on large units and tie them up and he can cause enough damage. Against Trolls etc is where he comes into his own. With attacks that can cause d3 wounds automatically etc he's very much a monster killer. I usually find though he's one of the first things I consider dropping to use points elsewhere as he is something of a sink. The GW Giant is a great model and a brilliant canvass to work from for conversions! :)
    As for the female character - do both! :D I'd love to see a vicious barbarian Chaos Lady and a Sorceress too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, I might just do that then, make me one of each kind *grins*
    Going to stick to the painting plan for now, though, to get more familiar with the colours I've chosen so far. And besides, I don't have the money at the moment to buy anything more, so I'm afraid you'll have to wait.
    I will ever so slowly start working on their fluff, and the fluff of the warband, however.

    Thanks for the tactical input on the Giant. I really like the plastic kit, but might go for something else... One of the workers at GW has told me about how he's converting one for his Orcs, using the torso of the Shaggoth, and lower part of the old metal Giant, and I must admit I love the idea. Sadly I don't have no metal Giant.. Will have to wait, ponder by myself and see!

    ReplyDelete